Getting a Husky has been one of the greatest joys in my life, but I started off being unsure of some things. A lot of owners are in the same boat, and have a lot of questions, especially when it comes to food. One question I have heard a lot is if this breed can eat chicken.
So, can Huskies eat chicken? Huskies can eat chicken, but it is better if it is cooked chicken. Dogs can get salmonella and other illnesses from raw meat, just like humans. Avoid seasoning the chicken, as some spices can be harmful to dogs, and do not give your Husky any chicken bones.
It’s important to know things like this when you want to treat your Husky the right way. A big part of why Huskies can eat chicken is because of their ancestry. Cool, right?
Huskies Eating Chicken
Feeding your Husky a chicken is absolutely okay for him or her. People have been doing it for such a long time. There are a lot of health benefits from giving your dog a little bit of extra protein.
Have you ever been eating dinner and you see your Husky nail you with those blue puppy eyes, just begging for a bite? Well, when it comes to giving them some of your chicken, you have no need to feel guilty about it.
If you are going to give your Husky chicken, there are a couple of ground rules, just to make sure that you are giving your dog something that will be good.
Here are the basics:
- Cook the chicken – This really applies for any meat that you are going to give your Husky. Salmonella and other things that are harmful to humans can be harmful to dogs.
- Boil – Boiling a chicken breast is going to be the best way to cook for your dog, just because it is the easiest way to make sure there is not anything contaminating it. You could boil a whole chicken, not just a breast if you would like.
- Don’t season the chicken – We might like pepper on our chicken but a Husky stomach cannot take it the way we can. So, to make sure your dog’s digestion goes smoothly, avoid putting any spices or seasonings on it.
- Take out any bones – Bones from a chicken is a big no-no. Chicken bones are not as strong as some of the other bones out there that dogs chew on. Chicken bones may fracture which can lead to internal injuries. The last thing you want to do is to hurt your pup.
- It shouldn’t be the only thing in the diet – Your dog is going to need a lot more to live on than just protein. So make sure that you are feeding your dog more than a chicken breast. Huskies especially are energetic and will burn through a lot of carbs, so give it to them.
- Trim the chicken – While it is good for your dog to get some healthy fat, you are going to want to trim any chicken you give him or her. It’s just better!
When it comes down to it, chicken is usually more of a treat instead of an everyday meal. Since it should be cooked every day, most people try not to give their dogs too much.
It also can give Huskies gas, which can be horrendous as you probably know, so infrequency is really helpful in these cases.
Why Huskies Can Eat Chicken
Feeding your Husky chicken is not only okay for him or her, but it’s great for them. Chicken is packed full of protein which is so good for a dog. There is a big push right now for dog food to be more meat and protein based instead of a lot of filler.
A big reason why there is this push is that people are paying more attention to the ancestry of dogs. Dogs come from wolves, and basically lived off of mostly meat.
Huskies are descended from wolves, just like all other dogs are. Huskies can eat meat because of these ties.
The Chuchki people bred these dogs for hundreds of years in the Siberian region. When the Chuchki people bred Huskies, they used them as sled dogs, as well as companions. At times, Huskies had to keep running on not a lot of food which is why they have a nice lean look.
Although there was not always chickens or other birds for these wolf-like creatures to eat when they lived with the Chuchki people, they did eat meat. The Chuchki had herds of reindeer, and this is where they got most of their protein.
So Huskies became accustomed to eating meat over the course of 3,000 years.
Huskies are truly an impressive breed, but they have come a long way. They have changed and developed to live in the modern world.
Most have gotten used to bowls full of kibble instead of raw meat, which is why it is important to watch what we give them now.
However, meats like chicken can help a Husky get power and energy, which is great for hikes or days when you both can go to the park.
Because Huskies are working dogs, they don’t need a ton of food, which is why you should not overfeed your Husky, especially when it comes to chicken.
When You Should Not Feed Chicken to Your Pet Husky
There are going to times, or even dogs that you should not feed chicken to, even though they will beg you like crazy for it.
Here are two cases when you should avoid giving your Husky this particular type of poultry:
- When it gives them stomach problems – Whether this is gas or bowel -movement gone wrong, you should probably stop. This can be a sign that your dog is allergic. This really happens. It’s one of the most common allergies for dogs actually. Food allergies can cause a lot of shedding and digestion issues.
- Your dog is already overweight – It might be time to give the chicken a rest if your Husky needs to cut down. Generally, you should cut back on everything. You should talk to your Vet for specific diet plans when it comes to your dog. If you are going to feed your dog chicken, make sure you cut off the fat beforehand.
Your dog may not be allergic, you may just be giving them too much of it. You should not give your Husky chicken all of the time. Try to make it about 10% of their total diet.
Cutting down on chicken may give you a better idea if your dog is actually allergic or not.
If your dog is having stomach problems with just chicken, you can try chicken and rice. This is said to help with any diarrhea or anything else that your dog might be experiencing.
Other Meats Your Husky Can Eat:
Now that you know that it is okay to give your Husky meat every now and then, you are probably curious about what other meats are going to be for them.
Here are the top, protein-dense meats that are totally okay to feed to your Husky:
Now, I don’t know how often you have some of these in your house, or how willing you are to give you dog the Bison that you spent a lot of money on, but it is a-okay to give you Husky a bit of these.
The same rules are going to apply to these meats as applied to chicken. Always make sure that you cook the meat all the way to avoid getting your Husky sick.
Seasoning and bones should be avoided here, too!
Don’t be afraid to give your Husky something a little better than dog food sometimes!
Is it okay to feed my dog chicken every day? Dogs should not be fed too much chicken. They should have a well-balanced diet, and eating too much protein can lead to digestion issues as well as other health problems. Chicken should only take up about 10% of the total diet.
Can Huskies eat just chicken? Huskies cannot live off eating just chicken or all protein. While dogs are descended from wolves, Huskies and other breeds have become omnivorous and need a diet with more carbs and vitamins than just chicken can provide.