When buying a parakeet from Petsmart there are some things you need to consider before you move forward and purchase one.
A parakeet is not the only thing that needs to be purchased. It may be necessary to also buy that parakeet a companion, food, and accessories. One also needs to know how to take care of him/her because birds have specific needs and complications just like any pet.
There is more to purchasing a parakeet than just going in and getting it. If you don’t know how to take care of him/her it can be a challenge to keep it alive.
1. When You Buy, You’re Not Just Buying the Parakeet
When you are purchasing your bird, you will also need to purchase a home/cage for it, birdseed, accessories (things to put into the cage) and you may have to purchase a companion.
Here are some accessories that you may not have thought of, but should definitely be a part of your purchase.
- Cage – You want to get one that has plenty of space, especially if you are going to purchase a companion parakeet.
- Stand for the Cage – You don’t generally think of a stand, but it is helpful if you have somewhere out of the way you want to stick it. When we bought our first parakeet we just set the cage out of the way in the kitchen in a place we never used. Our parakeet loved it there and was squawking happily all the time.
- Toys/Perch – Purchasing this will help your parakeet get used to things and will also help them not to get bored. They need to be stimulated and entertained just like people. Plus, it’s kind of fun to watch your parakeet play around in their cage. It’s nice to see them happy and enjoying themselves.
- Birdseed – You’ll want to keep your parakeet healthy and well-fed, and good quality birdseed should do the trick. There are several different kinds. Keep in mind that he/she may not automatically like what you purchase. (It would be wise just to give them the same thing they were fed at Petsmart- this will make their adjustment a lot easier.) As you learn more about your bird, you can discover what is safe for them to eat and try out some new snacks.
- Cage Cover – This will make them think that it is night time and they will be quiet while you sleep. Trust me, it’s a lifesaver! Don’t leave Petsmart without it, especially if you’ve never owned a bird before. This cage cover will save your nights.
If you’re already aware of the extra costs of purchasing a parakeet and are also familiar with the necessary methods of caring for them, then you’ve got this! Just don’t forget that the number of birds you buy will also affect the number of accessories you’ll have to buy.
2. Parakeets Get Lonely
If you are often away and won’t be home a lot, your parakeet can get lonely. He/she does not have to have a companion, but it may be a wise thing to do if you are not often home. This is because, of course, you want to make sure you have a happy and healthy pet.
Even though your parakeet may get lonely, it can build an even stronger with you and other humans if it does not have a companion. Being lonely will make it happy to see you when you get home and it will want to be with you more.
However, not every parakeet is the same, and some of them don’t need or want companions. If you aren’t able to care for multiple birds, things should work out over time. Eventually, they may also get used to it and will not be as lonely.
Note: There is a possibility too that it will not be lonely at all and will be just fine on its own without a companion.
Parakeets cost about $20-$25 at Petsmart. This price is relatively cheap and is worth the purchase. Because they are not super expensive, I would recommend getting a companion bird. If you have the means and time to care for multiple birds, then both pets will live happier lives. The price is also quite reasonable.
If your parakeet is lonely, he/she may be depressed. You can tell if your parakeet is depressed or under-the-weather by a number of signs:
- If they fluff up their feathers for long periods of time.
- If they are irritable
- If they lose their appetite
- If they are aggressive
- If they have a sudden change in behavior and/or quality of life you’ll be able to tell.
A companion bird may be the solution to this problem.
You may also want to ask your local Petsmart employee about the specific birds they have.
3. Buy the Care Guide
Petsmart has a care guide that tells you everything you need to know about taking care of your parakeet. It may seem simple to keep your bird alive because it’s small. However, there’s more to it than you might guess.
Note: Parakeets can carry diseases. When handling them be sure to always wash your hands before and after you touch them so that you don’t get sick!
My sister’s parakeet died within 2-3 months. We’re not sure how it died, but I’m positive we weren’t taking care of it like we were supposed to. I have a lot of siblings and everyone thought everyone else was helping my sister take care of it.
My sister was really little so she needed some guidance. Young children might have good intentions, but they can’t always keep track of all the needs of a pet. I can certainly guarantee that none of my siblings read the provided care guide, which meant that none of us really knew how to take care of it.
Taking good care of your parakeet and giving it the attention it needs is super important. I looked at the care guide that Petsmart gives you and it’s pretty clear and straight forward. They make sure the instructions are pretty simple to understand and follow.
So, read it and live by it.
4. Parakeets can be Trained to Speak and Respond to Simple Commands
It is not a myth! Parakeets can be trained to speak simple words and follow simples commands. You can train them to jump off your hand and back onto it.
Parakeets are very smart and can be easily trained. All they need is a little encouragement, perseverance, and patience from their owner and they will be able to climb onto your hand in no time.
If you are looking for a bird that speaks, the parakeet is a good choice. It’s a very fun pet. The one my sister owned learned how to jump onto her hand very quickly. All we did was hold birdseed out with our hands and he would jump on.
5. Parakeets Have an Average Lifespan of About 7-10 years
A parakeets lifespan is not that long compared to humans. It will only live for about 7-10 years. Obviously, just with any other pet, if you take good care of it you might be able to squeeze out some more years than that, but that’s the average.
Sometimes accidents happen of course. Parakeets are curious birds and might get into dangerous situations if they aren’t properly supervised. Make sure that your bird never eats anything harmful and keep it away from dangerous areas.
So, before you get your parakeet, know what you are signing up for. By purchasing this lovely animal, you are agreeing to 7 years of protecting, caring, and parenting him/her. It’s a lot to sign up for if you are not used to commitment.
Fun Fact: The oldest recorded parakeet lived to be about 20 years old! That’s crazy. So, it’s possible for your bird to live longer than 10 years old.
So, unless there are crazy circumstances, your parakeet should be able to live a long full life of about 7-10 years. That’s a long time for such a small creature! They make great pets and will stick around for a long time if you care for them properly.
- 【Package List】6 pcs of different types natural wood pet bird toys, include 1 Coconut Hideaway with Ladder, 1 climbing rotating ladder, 1 perching stand, 2 hanging chewing toys, 1 hanging bells. Meeting all various needs of small & medium pet birds.
- 【Safe to Chew】All types of pet birds love to peck and chew. These bird cage accessories toys are made of 100% natural wood, non-toxic ABS materials and polished smooth stainless steel chain, safe and durable. Your pet birds can play and enjoy them without any worries.
- 【Versatile and Safe Design】These budgie toys provide pet birds a fun & elevated place to climb, chew, perch and explore, let them keep active and healthy. Suit for Parakeets, Cockatiels, Conures, Parrots, Love Birds, Finches, Canary, Small and Medium-sized birds, etc. ♥ ♥ NOTE: Please double check the product sizes which showing in the picture before purchase. ♥ ♥
- 【Easy to Install】All pet bird toys come with an active hook which is easy to connect the steel hook to the top of your pet cage.
- 【100% Satisfied Service】If the products you received have any quality problem ( man-made damage not included) or any dissatisfaction, please feel free to contact us firstly by email, we will help and solve with our best.
- ✔ What you get :Package include 8 pieces difference type bird entertaining toys to meet your various needs for bird parrots,perfect size for parrotlets, parakeets, cockatiels, lovebirds and etc.
- ✔ Multi-function bird toy: they are designed to let your bird's feet have rest while also offer exercise opportunities for your birds to keep healthy and fit. Provides your little bird an ideal elevated place to swing, chew and climb.
- ✔ Safe to chew : Our wooden blocks chew toys are made from 100% natual wood and dyed by edible pigments.It is totally handmade,therefore safe for the pets and will not harm them.
- ✔ Easy to install : All parakeet cage accessories toy come with an active hook that simply attaches to the top of the pet cage for easy installation.
- ✔ GUARANTEE: If you are not satisfied for any reason, just return for a refund of your purchase price; we promise 24 hours customer support, please feel free to contact us for any product&order problem.
- 🐦【Package List】: 7 packs different types conure toys (2 chewing toys, 2 hanging bells toys, 3 bird swing toys) meet your birds parrot various needs for having fun.
- 🐦【Bright Colorful Toys】: Pet birds like bright color, the swing cage toy are colorful and beautiful, the bell and chewing toy will attract your birds to play and chew.
- 🐦【Safety & Bite Resistant】: The parrot swing toys are made of natural wood and non-toxic ABS materials, which is safe and durable for your bird to chew and stand. They gives them harmless place to do that.
- 🐦【Mental and Physical Workout】: The bird toys is durable and strong, the bird swing is the good place for your pet to rest or exercise. Pet birds love to peck and chew. Bell string and rattan ball bite make your pet love.
- 🐦【Wide Use】: You can enjoy the happy time with pets and get spiritual pleasure, suitable for anchovies, parakeets, parrots , perfect size for small parakeets cockatiels, conures, macaws, love birds, finches.